Greenleaf Introduces XSYTIN®-360 New Solid Ceramic End MillsPublished February 10, 2021
Greenleaf Corporation today announced XSYTIN®-360, a new line of high-performance solid ceramic end mills, to the global market. XSYTIN®-360 end mills combine Greenleaf’s phase-toughened XSYTIN®-1 substrate with a unique cutting geometry that offers ten times higher productivity and tremendous cost savings. The strength of the material allows the user to apply chip loads similar to solid carbide end mills with higher speeds common to ceramic machining. These new ceramic end mills provide customers with significant increases in productivity over current solid carbide or ceramic products.
Greenleaf’s XSYTIN®-1 material, introduced in 2016, was engineered to machine a wider variety of materials than any other ceramic in the industry. The structure of this phase-toughened ceramic exhibits high wear resistance and outstanding thermal shock resistance, which makes the XSYTIN®-360 end mills highly predictable, very versatile, high-performance products.
XSYTIN®-360 end mills have shown the highest material removal rates and resulted in increased productivity on a wide range of materials. These end mills have proven to be extremely effective when machining a variety of different materials including high-temperature alloys, 3D-printed sintered high-temperature alloys, hardened steels, ductile cast irons, and compacted graphite iron (CGI). In hardened steels specifically, the tool life of XSYTIN®-360 end mills has proven to be equal to high-performance carbide end mills when run at high-end speeds (11,460 RPM), while also removing over 73 cubic inches (over 1200 cubic cm) of material.
“I am extremely excited about the introduction of XSYTIN®-360 and the performance advantages these end mills offer to our customers. As the world leader in ceramic innovation, we worked hard to make sure that our entry into the end mill market was one of true innovation, differentiation, and value,” says Bernie McConnell, Executive Vice President - Commercial at Greenleaf Corporation. “We believe we have achieved our goal! The high-performance solid round tool market opens up a whole new opportunity for Greenleaf to expand our presence and market share in new and existing customers.”
Unique features and benefits of XSYTIN®-360 end mills include:
- Our unique flute design minimizes cutting forces, which reduces vibrations and optimizes tool life
- XSYTIN®-1 ceramic material provides ultra-high strength and wear resistance at extreme feed rates
- 4-flute design allows for maximum material removal in slotting, pocketing, and profiling applications
- Overall length of the end mills allows for regrind capabilities
- A very broad application range means numerous machining centers are capable of running these end mills
- Extremely versatile end mills with twice the feed rate capability and a much broader speed range
- Increased material removal rates (MRR) of 100% over carbide solutions
Ideally suited for machining materials in the aerospace, automotive, die & mold, and power generation industries, XSYTIN®-360 inch and metric end mills are available now.